Reflow is a ground-breaking solution in removing bird dropping damage without equipment. An extremely quick, easy and safe option to use on all paintwork surfaces.
- Ground breaking, quick and easy to use solution, reduces the time and effort involved in traditional bird lime damage rectification.
- Safer to use than alternative methods such as machine polishing.
- Leaves a perfect finish without risk of additional defects including holograms and swirl marks.
- Apply as many packs as needed, just add water!
Bird droppings left on a vehicle's bodywork can lead to etchings or impressions forming on the paint. This is caused by the warming and cooling cycle of the vehicle's paintwork. The top level of paint (clear coat) warms and moulds around the bird dropping and then cools and hardens. The heating cycle may be triggered by sunlight or heat from the engine. Over time, as the cycle repeats, the clear coat takes on an impression of the bird dropping, often appearing in the form of a faded or dull etchings. The level of damage or severity of the etching can be impacted by several factors including the composition of the bird dropping, the time it has been left on the paintwork, the age of the vehicle and the climatic conditions.
Reflow has been developed to help rectify these imperfections in the paintwork. The water-activated thermal transfer packs have been designed to heat to a specific temperature which they retain for a specific length of time to create the optimum conditions for the paint to soften, reflow and fill the etchings caused by the bird droppings. As the pack cools, the paintwork resets, effectively healing the affected area and removing the bird dropping mark.
Each Reflow pouch contains five thermal transfer packs. Reflow should be placed and left on the damaged paintwork, untouched, for 30 minutes.
- Refer to the health & safety information on the pack before use.
- Do not add water to the pack unless you are next to the vehicle and ready to start the process, as the pack will heat up quickly.
- For use on vehicles with clear coat only. Safe on painted plastic parts with clear coat. Not suitable for any other surfaces than paintwork.
- Do not use on matt or cellulose paint or wraps.
- First wash and dry the vehicle to remove all trace of the dropping. Tear off the top of the pack where instructed.
- Add 40ml of water to the fill line and fold over the top of the pack twice.
- Remove the peel-able sticker from the vent hole and reuse it to secure the fold at the top of the pack. Caution: the vent hole will release very hot steam.
- Holding the pack horizontally, massage the heating pad firmly with your thumbs for 10 seconds to ensure heating pad is completely saturated. Quickly place it over the affected area with the vent hole showing on top and the heating pad over the defect. Use the supplied adhesive tabs to secure the pack to the paintwork.
- Leave the pack untouched on the paintwork for 30 minutes. Once cooled, carefully remove and dispose of the pack in the general waste.
- Important! Wait 10 minutes for the paintwork to set before touching or applying any other products as new marks could be introduced.
Q: What causes bird dropping damage?
A: Contrary to car care folk law, it is not acid in bird droppings. Bird dropping damage (otherwise known as etching) is caused the warming and cooling cycle of vehicle clear coat. The clear coat warms and moulds around the bird dropping whenever it is exposed to heat and sun. It cools and hardens when the temperature drops (for example, in the evening). Over time, if not removed, the clear coat takes on an impression of the bird dropping.
Q: What is Reflow?
A: Reflow is a brand new, quick and easy way to remove defects and marks on the clear coat layer of painted surfaces, caused by bird droppings. Its unique and precise temperature thermal transfer packs have been finely tuned by Autoglym's scientists to allow paintwork to reflow, filling in imperfections caused by the bird dropping.
Q: How does Reflow work?
A: The addition of water to the pack causes an exothermic reaction heating Reflow to a precise temperature. This heat is transferred in a controlled and safe manner to the painted surface, allowing paintwork to reflow and fill in imperfections caused by the bird dropping. As the pack cools, the paintwork sets, effectively healing the affected area.
Q: How many packs are in a Reflow pouch?
A: There are five packs in a Reflow pouch, enabling you to correct multiple defects at a time.
Q: Is it safe to use on all car surfaces?
A: It is safe on all hard exterior vehicle surfaces, however it is only effective on clear coated surfaces.
Q: Does it work every time?
A: Reflow is most effective on paintwork 0 to 3 years old. The age of paint, age of bird dropping, severity of damage, and the panel and/or ambient temperature all affect the efficacy. For the best chance of success, work on young paintwork, on an un-textured bird dropping mark on a day where the air temperature is at least 10°c. The more recently the mark has been made the higher the chance of removal.
Q: If Reflow doesn’t work should I try again?
A: Provided the paintwork reaches the ideal working temperature (which it will usually do on a day where the air temperature is at least 10°c), your paintwork may be aged or cured too solidly for Reflow to be effective. If Reflow is unsuccessful or only partially successful, while the area is still warm, an application of Super Resin Polish will often fully rectify the area.
Q: Does it work on defects other than bird dropping marks?
A: Reflow is designed to remove bird dropping marks. Any additional benefits are a bonus, and should not be relied upon or expected.
Q: Should I wash the car before or after using Reflow?
A: Yes, the affected area must be clean to prevent additional damage from occurring and to ensure the maximum contact surface for a Reflow pack.
Q: Is it ok to touch or polish or wax paintwork after use?
A: Yes, after the paint has cooled to ambient temperature, further enhancement work can take place. The 30 minute process time is there for a reason, do not touch the paintwork until 30 minutes have elapsed.